Monday 17 January 2011

Fishermen's Sweaters

I'm afraid first impressions of this book are not favourable, mostly by the fact that there is only one man's sweater in the entire book, maybe I was being too hopeful, but not having seen a copy of the book and only going by the title, Fishermen's Sweaters, I was hoping for a tad more on the masculine side. I am sure that a few of the projects could be knit as a sweater for a man, but I like to see what it would look like on a bloke in the first place. Enough said.
The other bone I have to pick with this particular publication is the quality of the photography, alot of the projects almost seem to be taken in soft focus, so you cannot really see the stitch definition, either that or my eyesight is alot worse than I thought it was.
It's not all bad though, there are a number of projects I would like to cast on, this being one of them.
Kinsale.
This looks like a really comfy winter warmer, long enough to keep your butt lovely and warm, I do like woolies that double as butt warmers.
If I tried really hard I could even imagine this being suitable for a man's knit, (just need to get past the disappointment of being tricked by the title first.)
Most of the knits in this book do look to be on the loose side, maybe all the models used were stick insects in disguise, so everything they wear looks like a sack on them. But I have no great complaint about that, I like big comfy sloppy jumpers, great to slob about in.
In all fairness I have only flicked through the book a couple of times, and have not yet had the time to read through it all properly, the charts are well laid out and easy to understand and there is a good section on the techniques used at the rear of the book. so all in all I am not really that disappointed at all.

No comments: