Saturday 13 January 2007

Back Again


Well I've come back again, you would have thought I had run out of drivvle last night, but no motor mouth is off again.

Thanks to the lovely people who were kind enough to leave a comment, at least I can say that my musings have been perused, I hope you may even come back occasionally.

I have actually managed to get some knitting done this week, shock, horror. I completed two pairs of socks, one of the pairs is for a small person so did not take too long. Nice easy knits these, it is the Classic Sock pattern from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks, (lovely book, really interesting to read and a good variety of sock patterns, the next project on the list from this book are the Mamluke Socks, not sure when they will be started, I think the lace knitting might take over all other projects for the forseeable future) both in 6 ply so really quick, hence why it only took me four days to do both pairs. The reddish colour pair are Mega Boots Stretch, (Lana Grossa), and the stripy was some Opal I had left from a pair of ankle socks I made myself a while ago, I reckon that I could probably get another small pair out of them.
Sock knitting has really taken me by suprise, up until I joined the AY Forum I did not even realise that you could knit socks, why would I, they were just another functional piece of clothing that you pulled on and never gave any thought too, well apart from their smell of course. They are now things of great beauty, lovingly constructed on what look like large cocktail sticks, (my Dad saw mine sitting on the coffee table this week and thought it was some sort of voodoo doll and I had been inflicting pain on some poor unsuspecting person, I know I am a bit of a people hater when I go supermarket shopping [how dare they go shopping at the same time as me], but I am not that bad !) Some people have huge stashes of sock yarn, all waiting their turn to be teased into lovely little socks to keep little toes warm and cosy, beautiful patterns await you at every turn, tempting, tormenting and teasing you, surreal colour ways, self striping yarns, super soft cashmere, I could go on forever, but I won't.
Suffice to say that I really love knitting socks, these two pairs takes my tally up to four pairs so far, but I can envisage many more in the future. Talking socks, I have seen some impressive stashes in the last couple of days, Kay, I am in awe of the collection you have put together, I only wish mine was even a tenth of the size.
Time to love you and leave you, hope you have a great weekend.
Hello $ xxxx

2 comments:

blueadt said...

Your socks are fab. I've got the same book but haven't used it yet. Also have the same Mega Boot stretch in my stash which hasn't been used either yet which is a bit embarrassing but it's great to see it knitted up.

Janice said...

Lovely socks. I've got that book too but like blueadt I haven't used it, though it is well read. AY forum introduced me to socks as well, and shawls.