Sunday 10 April 2011

Not New Needles and the Kindness of Strangers.

A couple of weeks ago I was looking through the knitting needles in one of the local charity shops, another customer came in and saw me rooting through them and asked if I knitted and would I like all her old knitting needles.
I picked them up yesterday, what a lovely lady she was, she offered me a cup of tea, which unfortunately I was unable to except (I was just off out), but we chatted for ten minutes or so and she has crochet hooks and odd balls of yarn tucked away somewhere which when she digs them out I am also welcome to. I did offer to buy the needles from her but she wouldn't hear of it, she was just happy to know that they were going to a new home to be loved and used. What a haul, there are over seventy pairs, and lots of odds, plus stitch holders, circulars and needle gauges (old sizing). I had a lovely time sorting through them yesterday. In the front of the picture are some lovely old bone needles, not sure I would actually knit with these they feel so delicate, I might give them a go eventually, but for now I am happy to just hold and admire them. I am getting quite a collection of old (or should they be called vintage) needles and patterns, the needles mostly live in a large glass cup where I can admire them constantly, Mr Roadside just shakes his head in bemusement, he just does not get why I get so excited over what he thinks of as pointy sticks and string, poor deluded man.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Wow - you are lucky!