Sunday 27 March 2011

Crochet

I haven't done any crochet for years, but last weekend I was looking through my stash and was wondering how on earth I was ever going to use any of it up at the moment. I needed to do something that produced results quickly, time is still a bit sparse at the moment so anything that can give me almost instant gratification is very welcome. Several of the other bloggers I follow have recently featured crochet and I love Granny Squares to distraction, apart from the fact that is all I can do as far as crochet goes is beside the point
I have never tried to read a crochet pattern or chart, but have found my copy of Happy Hooker and several crochet books I found in the charity shop last week, and I plan to spend the day having a little peruse of them and see if I can make any sense of them.

Here is my little pile of squares so far, I will more than likely make some sort of scarf with them, there is not enough yarn to make any kind of reasonable sized blanket with. Each one is about six inches square, and takes just under an hour to do, most are a single colour, but to use up the oddments of yarn where there is not enough to do one square I have a few multi coloured squares as well.

I went along to our local S & B this week, it has only been running a few weeks, but I had not had the chance to go along to one before this week, it was a very pleasant evening of chatting and knitting (and crochet). I helped a couple of the ladies with their crochet, mostly on how to hold the yarn and keeping the tension. There are quite a few beginners there and it is great to be able to pass on the crafts to newbies, I have tried recruiting several of the ladies in our various charity shops this week, loads of them used to knit but in their own words they have no-one to knit for, as I said, why can they not knit for themselves and there are many charitys out there who would be extremely grateful for knitted gifts.
While I was in one shop looking through their collection of knitting needles a lady asked if I knit, and when I answered in the affirmative she then offered me her collection of needles she no longer uses any more. I nearly snatched her hand off , she gave me her number and I will be ringing her later on, this lady has bone needles, I adore old bone knitting needles and am so excited. Off to study the mystery of crochet patterns now, hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

No comments: